Check out AVENE Skin Care and other fabulous products at SkinCareRX.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.
Contents of this blog found on other websites without any proper credit or at least linking back here have been reproduced and copied without my consent.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Product Review: Boots Botanics Complexion Refining Pressed Powder

Before I go ahead and review this product, let me share an exchange of thoughts I had with my mom last night while watching WWE Wrestlemania 26 on TV - the match between the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels aka HBK (I miss HBK :(! Boohoo!).

Me: Mommy, paano kaya kung si Undertaker daddy ko? (Mommy, what if Undertaker is my dad?)
Mommy: Tatandang dalaga ka, anak. Matatakot lahat ng lalake sa kanya. (You will be an old maid, my child. All the guys will get scared of him.)

I was not able to say anything for a moment. I wasn't expecting that from her. My mom and her sense of humour... :P

Anyway, going back to the review. As you probably know by now, I like light-medium coverage makeup. I like to keep it as close to natural looking as possible so i don't like putting a lot of makeup on my face. So I recently started using just pressed or finishing powders after BB cream. Or if I use a powder foundation, I will apply it as lightly as possible so it won't feel heavy. The two things I have been alternately using on my face are Prestige Perfectly Matte Translucent Powder in Oatmeal and Kryolan Anti Shine Powder as they keep the oilies at bay for hours. Since I ran out of MAC Blot, I am always on the lookout for mattifying powders so whenever I chance upon something that seems promising, I give it a try. And the latest product is Boots Botanics Complexion Refining Pressed Powder in Sweet Ginger. And here are my thoughts on this product.



Packaging is not made of plastic, some kind of metal-ish so you can be sure it is sturdy but it is prone to scratches and a little heavy. The lock is quite different from most of the compacts I have seen.





What I like:
- Packaging is quite unique and not cheap and tacky looking  (except for the sticker indicating the shade which I will remove soon) plus it is quite sturdy.
- Provides light coverage (that can be built to get medium coverage) which is good for a natural look or perfect for lazy days when you don't feel like wearing a lot of makeup.
- Powder feels silky and velvety.
- No breakouts.
- Provides decent oil control.
- Can cover minor blemishes.
- Does not contain any parabens - see ingredients list.
- No annoying scent.
- Since it is from the Botanics line with the "The Power of Plants" label, I assume this is as natural as they can get in making this product. It contains rosemary and burdock.
- Has a shelf life of 24 months or two years so this can be used on and off like when you want to try out a different product.

What I don't like:
- Even though it feels silky and velvety, powder is not finely milled and has the tendency to be a little chalky.
- Not locally available.
- Only 3 shades to choose from.
- The sponge is useless. It has a leather-rubber-like cover and a really ugly sponge.
- No separate compartment for the sponge but if you use brushes instead of sponges, you won't really mind it.
- Compact is a little heavier than my other compacts and is prone to scratches.

Overall rating: 4/5
The things I don't like are minor and do not totally affect the overall performance of the product.


Will I buy again? Yes, if I see this again on eBay. :)




This is paraben free. States it contains rosemary and burdock. I did a little research as to what those two herbs do for the skin and I found these information.

Rosemary is used as a fragrant additive in soaps and other cosmetics. An infusion can also be used as an invigorating toner and astringent. Rosemary added to a bath strengthens and refreshes, especially when used following an illness. Considered to stimulate blood circulation and to restore elasticity to the skin, Rosemary is also effective for lifeless and oily skin, for blackheads and spots (antibacterial).

Burdock is organically grown in Croatia. Is a diuretic, and one of the best blood purifiers. Good for treating skin diseases e.g. eczema & psoriasis. Make as decoction. Also good for treating boils.

So these must be really good for the skin and that's probably why I never experienced breaking out with it even though it has talc.

Swatch. Almost a perfect match. Only a tad dark on my face but eventually blends well with my skin tone,

What's your favorite pressed powder? :)
Happy Tuesday, super awesome peeps!

15 comments:

  1. I'm loving the Shiseido Luminizing Powder right now, it's super finely milled and gives my face a nice natural glow!

    Thanks for the review on this product :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I think almost anything from Shiseido is good. I'm now excited to try the Sheer Mattifying Compact. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice review pammy.. my aunt from NYC is telling me about boots that she is liking it and i said i heard about the brand.. :D i need to find a new pressed powder asap i have finished my my myra e na..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same with you, if i'm not reviewing liquid/cream foundation, I am just a BB cream then setting powder kind of girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the first time Ive heard about this brand. I also have Prestige perfectly matte powder pero di ko nagamit coz the shade doesnt suit me anymore. I think Oatmeal na bagay sa akin now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, you gotta try this pressed powder. It's really nice. :)

    Nikki, feels lighter on the face, right? :)

    Kim, maybe. But you are lighter than me and Oatmeal matches my skin tone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh... I'm intrigued... I think this one's really good... I like it when it feels so light on the face, so I might try this. :) thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traveliz, this is pretty good for its cheap price tag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks promising. Too bad its on ebay.. i find it hard to trust sellers on ebay though :(

    ur lucky u got a gret product on ebay =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Khryz, I've been eBay-ing for more than 4 years now and there are a lot of sellers who can be trusted. In fact, I have met a lot of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEy Im so glad you liked my new room!
    As for this review, thank you and I see that the powder is oil-free which is somethign I am ALWAYS looking for!!!

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela, that was a really nice room. :) If you have access to Boots since it's available in the US, check out this powder and the No.17. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow I like this nuance of pink!

    my name's martina and I come from Italy...I would like you follow me! I wait you and your tips!kiss kiss ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. La mi, I'll check out your blog. Thanks for dropping by. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and sharing your thoughts.

Cheers! ^_^

P.S.
NO SPAM comments, please. You are wasting your time because they won't get published anyway.

Total Pageviews - Thank you, everyone! :)