Before I go ahead and review this product, let me share an exchange of thoughts I had with my mom last night while watching WWE Wrestlemania 26 on TV - the match between the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels aka HBK (I miss HBK :(! Boohoo!).
Me: Mommy, paano kaya kung si Undertaker daddy ko? (Mommy, what if Undertaker is my dad?)
Mommy: Tatandang dalaga ka, anak. Matatakot lahat ng lalake sa kanya. (You will be an old maid, my child. All the guys will get scared of him.)
I was not able to say anything for a moment. I wasn't expecting that from her. My mom and her sense of humour... :P
Anyway, going back to the review. As you probably know by now, I like light-medium coverage makeup. I like to keep it as close to natural looking as possible so i don't like putting a lot of makeup on my face. So I recently started using just pressed or finishing powders after BB cream. Or if I use a powder foundation, I will apply it as lightly as possible so it won't feel heavy. The two things I have been alternately using on my face are Prestige Perfectly Matte Translucent Powder in Oatmeal and Kryolan Anti Shine Powder as they keep the oilies at bay for hours. Since I ran out of MAC Blot, I am always on the lookout for mattifying powders so whenever I chance upon something that seems promising, I give it a try. And the latest product is Boots Botanics Complexion Refining Pressed Powder in Sweet Ginger. And here are my thoughts on this product.
Packaging is not made of plastic, some kind of metal-ish so you can be sure it is sturdy but it is prone to scratches and a little heavy. The lock is quite different from most of the compacts I have seen.
What I like:
- Packaging is quite unique and not cheap and tacky looking (except for the sticker indicating the shade which I will remove soon) plus it is quite sturdy.
- Provides light coverage (that can be built to get medium coverage) which is good for a natural look or perfect for lazy days when you don't feel like wearing a lot of makeup.
- Powder feels silky and velvety.
- No breakouts.
- Provides decent oil control.
- Can cover minor blemishes.
- Does not contain any parabens - see ingredients list.
- No annoying scent.
- Since it is from the Botanics line with the "The Power of Plants" label, I assume this is as natural as they can get in making this product. It contains rosemary and burdock.
- Has a shelf life of 24 months or two years so this can be used on and off like when you want to try out a different product.
What I don't like:
- Even though it feels silky and velvety, powder is not finely milled and has the tendency to be a little chalky.
- Not locally available.
- Only 3 shades to choose from.
- The sponge is useless. It has a leather-rubber-like cover and a really ugly sponge.
- No separate compartment for the sponge but if you use brushes instead of sponges, you won't really mind it.
- Compact is a little heavier than my other compacts and is prone to scratches.
Overall rating: 4/5 The things I don't like are minor and do not totally affect the overall performance of the product.
Will I buy again? Yes, if I see this again on eBay. :)
This is paraben free. States it contains rosemary and burdock. I did a little research as to what those two herbs do for the skin and I found these information.
Rosemary is used as a fragrant additive in soaps and other cosmetics. An infusion can also be used as an invigorating toner and astringent. Rosemary added to a bath strengthens and refreshes, especially when used following an illness. Considered to stimulate blood circulation and to restore elasticity to the skin, Rosemary is also effective for lifeless and oily skin, for blackheads and spots (antibacterial).
Burdock is organically grown in Croatia. Is a diuretic, and one of the best blood purifiers. Good for treating skin diseases e.g. eczema & psoriasis. Make as decoction. Also good for treating boils.
So these must be really good for the skin and that's probably why I never experienced breaking out with it even though it has talc.
Swatch. Almost a perfect match. Only a tad dark on my face but eventually blends well with my skin tone,
What's your favorite pressed powder? :)
Happy Tuesday, super awesome peeps!