Check out AVENE Skin Care and other fabulous products at SkinCareRX.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.
Contents of this blog found on other websites without any proper credit or at least linking back here have been reproduced and copied without my consent.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Product Review: MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation

As I have mentioned several times before (and you have probably gotten tired of it), I've been a powder foundation user for years now simply because it works great on my combi-oily skin. I have tried several brands and I found love with some of them while there are also some that I would rather forget. It has been 4 years since I crossed paths with MAC. The first time I tried it, I was given the NC40 shade by a sales assistant who seemed less interested in helping me out. I didn't know better back then and fully trusted him/her. He/she asked what I am looking for and I told him I wanted a powder foundation. He just simply handed me an NC40 powder foundation and silly me went straight to the counter and paid for it. To my horror when I got home, it was dark on me but I still used it up anyway as I didn't want my Php1500 go to waste. Now I know better and have never gone back to the Glorietta branch. :P Anyway, enough blabbing and time for the review. Honestly, I've no idea why I have never ever reviewed this foundation that was once my HG and something that I have been using for 4 years now.



For some reason, I have this knack for dropping my powder foundations and MAC is no exception. I remember breaking one MAC SF 2 years ago and haven't used it more than thrice at that time. :(

What I like:
- The coverage of this powder foundation is amazing! I do not have to use a concealer except for my under eyes when I use this.
- Gives a smooth and flawless finish.
- Unscented.
- I like the packaging which is a sleek round compact.
- A little goes a long way. I rarely ever touch up with this foundation.
- Has never broken me out nor caused any allergic reactions. I know a lot of people have broken out with this foundation and I guess I am part of the minority who never experienced that.
- I like how the coverage can be built up. It can go on light by using a fluffly powder brush to medium coverage with the help of a dry sponge or a flat top brush to really heavy by using a damp sponge.
- Staying power is good. Lasts for a few hours on my skin.
- One compact lasts for a long time. I've had this one for about a year and a half now. (Well, I use others too but when this was the only foundation I used back then, it took me a year to finish that compact.)
- Reasonably priced at Php1600.
- Locally available at MAC counters (Rustan's EDSA Shang, Glorietta, Robinson's Place Manila, Marionnaud MOA, Duty Free and I may have missed one branch.)


What I don't like:
- Has the tendency to cake if used when touching up.
- Oxidizes on me since I am acidic.
- No SPF (though it can be remedied by using sunblock underneath).

Overall rating: 4/5

Will I buy again? Yes! This was my HG powder foundation before I started using Shiseido, Kanebo, and Estee Lauder. It wouldn't have been my HG back then if it does not meet my expectations.

I have this in NC30 and it is a tad dark on me as you can see on the swatch. Plus I am acidic so it oxidizes on me.

On me, used on top of Revlon Colorstay in Buff.
Have you tried this powder foundation?

Happy Thursday, super awesome peeps! :P

20 comments:

  1. no wonder why MAC studiofix is such a rite of passage for most girls. ive never owned any MAC makeup, but this review might just change things for me. :)

    LOL @ the SA giving you NC40. and double LOL for you paying for it. shucks, that's such a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argie, yeah. Every time I remember that, it makes me laugh at myself. I didn't even bother checking out the shades at all and just became the obedient customer and paid for it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha your nc40 story was funny! and i know that feeling of trying to make a product work no matter how "wrong" it seems.

    this powder foundation certainly looks great on you...it has that no makeup makeup look to it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mina, hehe. I learned a lot from it. :P True, we sometimes do our best to make products work even though they're just so not right for us. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know what you're saying,sweetie!
    the MAC staff in Glorietta branch is so....
    grrr...
    I'd rather not say na lang... but i won't go to that branch even if yun na lang ang merong magically cooling powder sa buong pinas. I'd rather ask someone to buy it on US for me..hehe

    but it's good that you found your HG foundation!
    ^_^

    ps:
    i hope it's ok if i 'stole' your link sa lip ice balm sa recent post ko..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was thinking of trying Studio Fix XD after reading your post, i may skip this and try Shiseido, Kanebo (the ones u mentioned) instead XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. would you believe that i've never tried yung studio fix na powder? hehehe. NC40? ang dark naman non!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thia, me too! Not a very good first experience with a MAC sales assistant. No prob on the lip ice link, dear. :P

    Jennifer, Shiseido and Kanebo are really nice but pricey!! But hands down to both for texture and finish. MAC SF is a really nice foundie though. :P

    Crystal, you haven't? Really? Yeah, t'was really dark. I remember some of my friends wondering why my face is darker than my arms. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi pammy, what do you mean by
    "it oxidizes on me"? sorry clueless:( and what does it mean if your acidic? does it have an effect on the foundation you're wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I agree with you, this is not for touchup talaga! I think the Sheer or the Blot powder is better for touchup! But the coverage of this is winner talaga :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I rarely use this foundation coz I keep on forgetting na meron ako nito LOL I prefer liquid foundations kasi...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joice, the foundation turns dark on me after a couple of hours. That happens when you're acidic though that is not the case will all the foundations. :)

    Nikki, I love the coverage of this foundie. I made the mistake of using this to touch up before and it caked, big time! I love MAC blot too. :P

    Khymm, haha! Don't forget! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. i havent tried MAC foundations besides their TM. this sounds like a nice product...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nic, it's nice if you are after full coverage foundations and if you do not have sensitive skin. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Martina, will check out you blog too. Thanks for dropping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. MAC always stands for good products and this foundation is just another example of the same.Love the quality and the impact on the face...it protects the skin in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can imagine how dark NC40 is on you, ang laki ng tinalon.

    Hey, I just wanna say, I finally know what my mac shade is. NC37! Hahaha. After 29 years of existence. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yey! :) In case you become a foundation addict, it'll be easier for you to determine your shade on other brands. :D

      Delete
    2. Had to go back to this. Because I finally bought this foundation. Since this doesn't have NC34, I bought C40 and it's awesome. Naisip ko bumili ng shiseido but it was pricy so ito na lang muna.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and sharing your thoughts.

Cheers! ^_^

P.S.
NO SPAM comments, please. You are wasting your time because they won't get published anyway.

Total Pageviews - Thank you, everyone! :)