Check out AVENE Skin Care and other fabulous products at SkinCareRX.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.
Contents of this blog found on other websites without any proper credit or at least linking back here have been reproduced and copied without my consent.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Product Review: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine

NARS is known for the shocking shade names of their products like Orgasm, Super Orgasm, Deep Throat, Torrid, Sex Appeal, etc and I thought they named only their blushes that way but boy I was wrong. I got the Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine which is, well, a lip product. I was kinda excited to try it because I read somewhere that though it is labeled as matte, it isn't as drying as others. I've had this since May this year and I guess it's time to review it.




What I like:
- It glides on smoothly on the lips.
- Pretty old rose-like shade.
- A little goes a long way.
- Smells nice, like cocoa butter or chocolate.
- Locally available at NARS Counters at Rustan's Department Stores.

What I don't like:
- Drying and makes my lips flaky and also emphasized the lines on my lips.
- While I find the shade lovely, it makes me look old. Seriously, it does a good job doing that. A guy friend once told me that I looked older and asked what the heck I did with myself. After dinner, this product was gone and he suddenly blurted out that it is this lip product that made me look old. I honestly trust men's opinion on what looks good on a girl or not. I think they have a more critical eye when it comes to that.
- Expensive for a lip pencil.

Overall rating: 2/5   I really hate matte lip products. Every single time I try this, my lips get dry and really flaky. This just smells really nice and applies smoothly as compared to others. 

Will I buy again? Not in a million years. I have found a cheaper and better alternative to this and that is the Palladio Herbal Lip Slix in Rosewood. Glossy for a lip pencil and relatively cheaper too. I mean I can buy 3 of these with just the price of one NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil. But then, NARS is still NARS though that doesn't mean I don't have the license to dislike any of their products.But I know that this works for other people so it is basically a matter of personal preference.

Swatch

Lip swatch

Have you tried this lip product? Do you like it?

Happy Tuesday, super awesome peeps! :P

17 comments:

  1. wow, the cheaper alternative wins by far for you on NARS Sex Machine. :)

    i like it so much that you always come up with alternatives, luckily, dupes, when a product doesn't work on you.

    super helpful post. Like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. while it may indeed look good on the swatch & the lip swatch too, but when someone says you look old because of a certain product, it's time to ditch it!
    hehe

    i agree with what you said that you ought to trust the opinion of men because they don't really know the technicality of stuff so they will just comment on the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry it doesn't works for u but to me it looks so pretty on ur lips :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the review pammy! haven't tried NARS lip products pa coz I find it expensive LOL pero yung blushes super love ko, ang tagal kasi maubos eh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with my makeupmania :) it looks really pretty on your lips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pammy, so sad Sex Machine did not work for you. It's one of my favorite velvet matte lipsticks from Nars. I have to agree that it is quite drying so I always top it with a gloss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha so funny the comment of your guy friend! it looks good on the picture though, i just don't know if the color looks "burgundy-ish" in person coz' that shade really makes one look older i think... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Argie, thank you. There are seriously great inexpensive products out there which can be better that mid-high end ones and this is no exception. :P

    Thia dear, agree! I'm jsut glad I didn't have to purchase this and got it as a freebie instead. If I did, I would've poked myself for doing so. Yeah, I truly agree with what you said that they just state the obvious. :P

    Anastacia, yeah, it looks pretty but too bad it makes me look like an oldie. :D

    Kim, true! I think the blushes are their superb products. I really dunno how I can use up all the NARS blushes I have, even though I only have a couple left. :P

    Nadine, I agree too. But it's just sad that it looks awful on me.

    Bec, I'm glad you're one of those people who love this and have this product actually work for you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mina, hehe. I actually thought it was funny too. It's not totally burgundy-ish, it's like old rose-plummish. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. now i want to try the palladio lip stix! thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the color, it's pretty! Too bad its drying :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. i saw the palladio pencils too at beauty bar. was about to buy them but stopped myself because i already have a lot of lip products which i have to consumer first. after this review, i might go back and try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mia, the Palladio lippies are nice! :P I am wondering when their tinted lip balms will become locally available too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lipstickaddict, it's a pretty color. It's just so sad that it makes me look old. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and sharing your thoughts.

Cheers! ^_^

P.S.
NO SPAM comments, please. You are wasting your time because they won't get published anyway.

Total Pageviews - Thank you, everyone! :)