NARS is known for the shocking shade names of their products like Orgasm, Super Orgasm, Deep Throat, Torrid, Sex Appeal, etc and I thought they named only their blushes that way but boy I was wrong. I got the Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine which is, well, a lip product. I was kinda excited to try it because I read somewhere that though it is labeled as matte, it isn't as drying as others. I've had this since May this year and I guess it's time to review it.
What I like:
- It glides on smoothly on the lips.
- Pretty old rose-like shade.
- A little goes a long way.
- Smells nice, like cocoa butter or chocolate.
- Locally available at NARS Counters at Rustan's Department Stores.
What I don't like:
- Drying and makes my lips flaky and also emphasized the lines on my lips.
- While I find the shade lovely, it makes me look old. Seriously, it does a good job doing that. A guy friend once told me that I looked older and asked what the heck I did with myself. After dinner, this product was gone and he suddenly blurted out that it is this lip product that made me look old. I honestly trust men's opinion on what looks good on a girl or not. I think they have a more critical eye when it comes to that.
- Expensive for a lip pencil.
Overall rating: 2/5 I really hate matte lip products. Every single time I try this, my lips get dry and really flaky. This just smells really nice and applies smoothly as compared to others.
Will I buy again? Not in a million years. I have found a cheaper and better alternative to this and that is the Palladio Herbal Lip Slix in Rosewood. Glossy for a lip pencil and relatively cheaper too. I mean I can buy 3 of these with just the price of one NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil. But then, NARS is still NARS though that doesn't mean I don't have the license to dislike any of their products.But I know that this works for other people so it is basically a matter of personal preference.
Have you tried this lip product? Do you like it?
Happy Tuesday, super awesome peeps! :P