Whether your skin is dry, dry-combination, combination-oily, or oily, there will always be a foundation that will suit your skin type. That is the reason why there are different types of foundation - powder, liquid, creme or stick, mousse, gel, loose, etc. Having a combination-oily skin, I have stayed away from anything other than powder foundations as I have been told by many that that is the most recommended type for such skin. But being the curious cat that I am, I tried other types.
I have tried Maybelline Clear Smooth Aqua Gel foundation, Palladio Rice Stick Foundation, Make Up For Ever HD Foundation, Kryolan TV Paint Stick, Revlon Colorstay Mineral Mousse Foundation, and Revlon Colorstay Liquid. While some of them worked for me, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the results. So I stopped trying other forms and decided to stick with my trusty ol' powder foundations.
It wasn't until I read about Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup that I once again wanted to try a liquid foundation. Since most of the raves came from oily-skinned individuals, I knew I had to try it. And I did last August. I was easily matched with a shade - Sand - and even though I do not usually allow SAs/MAs to apply makeup on me, I agreed without hesitation. I was even more impressed that the SA wasn't pushing me to immediately buy it. She even told me that she just wanted me to see how this foundation works, which doesn't happen everyday on my encounters with different SAs. I was satisfied that I immediately included this on my lemming list.
I sort of forgot about my lemming for this foundation but when I passed by Rustan's Gateway Mall and saw the Estee Lauder counter, I once again remembered how much I wanted this. I was really happy when I finally got my hands on what I can say my HG liquid foundation. And you'll find out why I consider this my HG.
I love the gold cap. It gives the bottle a luxurious feel. Plus this foundation has a shelf life of 24 months so I have 2 years to finish this up and it won't definitely go to waste.
What I like:
- The shade Sand matches my skin tone perfectly as it has enough warm tones in it.
- This foundation is indeed long-wearing and lasting power is superb! Since my T-zone is oily, I am expecting to see some shine on it in a few hours. There was a little shine but not as shiny as when I use other powder foundations. It's actually more of a dewy look. I've had this on for 9 hours now and though it doesn't look like it's freshly applied, I still have foundation on and it doesn't look greasy and ugly.
-Does not break me out. I would usually get a pimple or maybe even more overnight if I try a new product that doesn't work with my skin and I did not get any with this foundation despite its being long-wearing.
- It does not look unnatural or make me look made up. It blends well with my skin and looks as if it's my second skin. Of course, I had to wait for a few minutes for it to totally blend.
- Unlike other foundations, this is absorbed by the skin and does not sit on top of it. Therefore, I don't look like a have a layer of mask or cement on my face. It doesn't feel heavy (could very well be due to the fact that I apply a very thin layer of this on my face).
- It smells just a bit like foundation but nothing really unpleasant as it does not trigger my allergic rhinitis.
- A little goes a long way. I only need a pea-sized amount to cover my face and neck.
- It has SPF10 so I know my skin is still protected even if I skip sunblock.
- It does not transfer to cloth and tissue unless you rub it too hard. Basically transfer-resistant.
- I only had to use very little concealer on my under eyes. Coverage is amazing and has a flawless finish.
- The packaging is really sturdy. I once dropped it on the floor and though there were a few hairline scratches, there was no crack on the bottle. Whew! (My friend told me I went pale like a ghost when I dropped it.)
What I don't like:
- This isn't really a cheap foundation as it costs PHP1900 so with the price, I think it would've been better if it came with a pump to also make it more hygienic. I have to use a spatula to get just the right amount of product as I might spill too much if I just let it pour out of the bottle.
- I have a few dry patches on my cheeks and this emphasizes them so I have to slather on a lot of moisturizer on my cheeks.
- The price may be too much for some but come to think of it, this is a foundation that can last for more than a year so you can do the math. Math is my Achilles' heel. :P
- You have to be like Flash Gordon in blending it on your face - it dries easily and may look blotchy.
- I'm just sad that this doesn't work very well with my Kryolan Anti Shine Powder.
Overall rating: 4.75/5 This gives me the coverage I need and keeps oil at bay in a superb way.
Will I buy again? YES! I would in a heartbeat as I think this is "The One". :D
Tip: Since this is recommended for those with combi-oily skin, dry to dry-combi skinned individuals may have a hard time using this foundation. Simply mix it with your moisturizer for a much lighter feel and for something that isn't matte and drying. :)
Have you found your HG liquid foundation? :)
Happy Tuesday, super awesome peeps! :P